Saturday, 20 February 2010

Chapter 9 - A Resolved Sample

The inspiration for my resolved sample has come from this cropped picture of a staircase....I 'played' around with various shapes from it and hope the finished piece meets with approval!





























Sketchbook ideas....I was thinking of using a squared spiral design but although I like the idea it didnt work as well for me.


















I began by covering a dyed piece of cotton with machine embroidered whipped stitch spirals....starting small in the center and increasing in size as they covered the fabric.















At the next stage I added covered card to represent the spiral stairs


























Finally I wrapped the steps in a metallic thread linking the stairs, I still felt it needed pulling together as a whole piece which I feel has been done by sewing a knotted machine cord to the inside of the spiral.






























Another view of my final piece




3 comments:

ferinn said...

Absolutely stunning Maggie.Well done!I love the colours.

Paula Smith said...

Wow Maggie that's really lovely. Love the colours - so onwards and upwards! See you at summer school? Paula x

Jane said...

lovely - I like the way your knotted cord refers back to the photo, it really brings it together.