Thursday, 2 September 2010

Chapter 7 - Wrapped Frames to make Grids

Its taken me a long time to get back into module 4 not sure why but this year the summer has got in the way!! I did find withdrawing threads very time consuming and often got carried away taking out too many or changing the pattern mid-way! Really enjoyed chapters 6 & 7 and it was good to get back into the flow.



















1. Threads wrapped both ways across the frame followed by straight and zig-zag machine stitching to form a new fabric and grid, this fabric is fairly firm.

2.Wool wrapped over the frame in bars and machine satin stitched bars in 2 colours carrying the threads across the sample. One of my favourites.




















3.Wrapped novelty threads stitched in bars with blanket stitch creates an interesting design across the grid.

4. 'Sari ends' wrapped and then woven through to create this grid.




















5. Here I used tassel threads to wrap the frame and free machined circular letter shapes to secure the grid, I feel thicker threads could be added to this sample.

6. Frayed strips of my sample fabric used to make the grid with machined stitching to hold it together. I would like to use this sample in chapter 8 and added it to paper pulp....may be suitable to use in some form in my final piece....not sure yet.


















7. Luckily Sainsbury's plastic bags are in my colour scheme! I think I will remove the blue ties and try this grid with paper pulp in the next chapter to see the effect.

1 comment:

ferinn said...

You've done some lovely samples.The drawn thread ones are so neat and precise.I hope this lovely weather continues for your break.