Monday, 8 November 2010

Chapter 9 - Stitchery into Paper

Looking through my research during working on this chapter I'm changing my focus and want to concentrate on the Egyptian theme for my final piece rather than my Father's letters to my Mother during the war. This shows quite strongly in this chapter and hopefully I can use some of these in some way in my special book. No doubt I should do some more stitchery but am itching to get into book making! I seem to have been on this module toooo long!


A.










Sample -A Taking my crossover piece that was nearly ruined in chapter 8 (Sian saved it by suggesting I picked off the unwanted pulp/paper to reveal more of the fabric) I added Guilloche stitch using a rubbing from research as inspiration.



B.











Sample B -Hessian & pulp...I used inspiration from a computer generated design in chapter 2 and embroidered a large version of Long-tailed Daisy Stitch. In keeping with my Egyptian theme I think it looks like hieroglyphics on the temple columns.


C.














Sample C - this is my earlier string sample added to a piece of dupion silk and represents the Egyptian people from a brochure I brought home. I loved doing this one and hope to use it in my final 'book'



D.












Sample D - the orange thread was added at paper making stage and the turquiose random fly stitch was sewn in to represent the dripping ink from my research.



Stitched Edges

1.













The 2 above both look like overlapping, but the lower edge is a variation on blanket stitch (forgot to write the name down). The top edge has woollen ties added.




2.














The top edge above has machined paper clips with loose threads to add effect. The lower one is fine ribbon attached with french knots.

1 comment:

ferinn said...

These are stunnung,I love sample B,it looks like papyrus so links well with your Egyptian theme.Thanks for your comments,I shall perservere as I'm too far down the road to start again!Good luck with your book.
Jenn